NewExpertAS4920
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Experience:  -
108371865

My lawyer will be sending my ex my divorce settlement offer

Hello. My lawyer will be sending my ex my divorce settlement offer next week as the hearing is due in June. Does the other party also have to send over their offer before the hearing for our consideration?
Hi thank you for your query. Please confirm where you are as the laws vary in every jurisdiction
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hertfordshire
Thank you. The norm is that one party sends an offer and other other party reviews the terms and chooses to accept or counter propose each term. This is how the negotiations start.
However, there is nothing stopping the other party to propose an offer at the same time.
I hope this answers your query. If not, please feel free to send me a follow up question.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The court had previously stated that all offers need to be made at least a week prior to the hearing, does that mean filed with the court or with the other side? I want to avoid sending our offer in next week and no get anything from them until the hearing
It is usually specified in the court order whether the offers must be filed with the court too.
If the court order is silent then the court probably requires the parties to try and reach a settlement. It is best that you comply with the court directions as opposed to be concerned about whether the other side will send their offer.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okey tx
No problem at all. Have a lovely evening.