How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TK Legal Your Own Question
TK Legal
TK Legal, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 241
Experience:  LLB, MCIArb
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TK Legal is online now

I have a 6 yo son and I cannot agree child custody with his

This answer was rated:

Hello. I have a 6 yo son and I cannot agree child custody with his mum. Are lawyers needed for child custody hearings or is it a simple case of file the papers and go to court myself?

Hello dear, welcome to JustAnswer ! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today with your legal issue. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you!

Have you tried mediation with your ex?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Here is an online guide which explains nicely what you need to do to apply for child arrangements order without the help of a lawyer.

You can always represent yourself in a family court. The procedure is not complicated. There are a lot of online resources available for you to use in understanding the whole process. When there are a lot of factual disputes, it will be worth hiring a direct public access barrister or a solicitor to represent you at the final hearing.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for the above. Is it more common for people to do it themselves or to use a solicitor?

People who did not have court experience before tend to instruct a solicitor. But those people who are familiar with the court environment, procedure, forms and confident enough to complete all the paperwork by themselves, mostly represent themselves. Another reason is that there is no legal aid for child arrangements order. Hence, they are cautious in spending money unnecessarily. But if you have a very difficult ex, then it might be wise to instruct one solicitor for peace of mind.

TK Legal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh last one, you mentioned final hearing? How many are there usually?

Total three hearings:

The First Hearing Dispute Resolution Appointment

The Dispute Resolution Appointment

The Final Hearing

If parties do not comply or some of the hearings are not effective, there may be more than three hearings, but not very common.

There could be additional fact finding hearing if domestic violence is alleged and the judge considers it to be appropriate.

I hope that helps. If not, I am happy to assist further.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That is very helpful thank you

I am glad I could help. Have a nice weekend !