How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3242
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I would like to speak to a solicitor who specialises in

This answer was rated:

I would like to speak to a solicitor who specialises in divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: my husband has done that,I received the petition
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: it says harlow in the petition letter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we havenot reached a financial agreement

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

Can you tell me what your question is specifically please and I will see if I can help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the letter from the HM courts that my husband has applied for a divorce. We have not agreed on how to share our assets yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at what stage can I apply for the financial order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has refused to go to mediation despite me asking several times

Ok thank you. I am jus writing up my full answer now please allow me a few minutes. many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have been married for 17 years, but split up two years ago. We own a house together, both of our names are ***** ***** deed. My husband firmly believes that I won't get anything from the house as he contributed financially and I was a house wife with 3 kids at home.

Thankfully, your husband is Wrong! As you are a married couple all matrimonial assets such as the house, savings both pensions, property etc belong to both of you and who contributed what has very little to do with it. He may have paid the mortgage but you raised the kids and looked after the home and you have a full legal entitlement to the house. What I would highly suggest you do is hire a lawyer immediately. If you don't then your husband's lawyers going to try and get him as much as possible whereas your own lawyer will be able to highlight what you are really entitled to by law and be able to negotiate a good financial settlement for you. As he has now made the application for divorce the financial settlement comes next and you will have to negotiate this out. However, you are entailed to the matrimonial assets I have already mentioned so do not sign anything without involving a solicitor. Your husbands solicitor will know that a judge will not award your husband the house because he paid the mortgage and that you have a full legal entitlement to the home as he does. If you do not instruct a solicitor then you may end up with a bad deal. If you are struggling financially, then you may be entitled to legal aid to help. However, do know that whilst you are separated your lawyer can also make an application for spousal maintenance. Sadly, I cannot give any advice as to what this could be or anything about your financial settlement as I do not know your husband's finances but your own lawyer will be able to get all of that information from your husband. Do not let anyone tell you that you have no entitlement as this is simply not the case.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much.

You are very welcome and I hope you get this sorted out. I would be obliged if you could rate my advice using the 5 stars at the top of the page. I wish you all the best and stay safe in these difficult times. R

RJM Law and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you