How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2780
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Can a child, who is turning 17 this year claim young carer

This answer was rated:

Hi. Can a child, who is turning 17 this year claim young carer allowance for the other parent who has mental illness even though that child live with the other parent full time and the parent he lives with claiming universal credit and all sort of benefit a single parent can get?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Im still waiting for the answer.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

Let me apologise for the delay in getting back to you, I was away from the system.

In order to assist, kindly clarify the following:

Whether the other adult in the house is also claiming carer allowance?

Kindly also clarify whether the 17 year old is in full time education?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 17 years old is in full time education, and his Dad who has his custody is claiming universal credit. But now, the mum wants him to get young carer allowance even though the child doesnt live with her full time.

Thank you for the clarification. Below is the eligibility criteria for a minor to claim for carers allowance.

  • aged 16 or over
  • satisfies UK presence and residence rules
  • Spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • Isn't t in either full-time education or earning more than £128 (2020-21) a week net, which means £128 after paying tax, National Insurance and certain other deductions.

You will see therefore that the fact that he does not live with her would not necessarily pose a problem providing he is able to demonstrate that he assists with her care for the pre requisite time. What concerns me however is the fact that he would be in full time education. That would affect his ability to claim.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome

ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2780
Experience: Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you