plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My partner has recently died and I'm afraid his kids will

My partner has recently died and I'm afraid his kids will kick me out of the property where we are living as it's in his name.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dorset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a dependant as I only work part time. He was in the process of changing his will at the time of his death to let me stay in the flat.

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you tell me what the current (and therefore valid) will states?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything split 50/50 between his kids.
I'm not looking for money but he wanted me to be able to live in the flat until I died or met someone else.
I understood that as I am a dependant that this might be a possibility.

Yes it's a possibility. It's claim under the Inheritance Act as a financial dependent.

You will really need to see a solicitor about making this sort fo claim though, it is not likely to succeed if you try to do it yourself.

You can find one near to you with the link here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I hope that answers your question today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.

My pleasure.

If you do have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, before you go today, if you could take just a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited by Just Answer for my time spent responding to your question for which I'd be very grateful. Without the rating I'm not paid by the site, so your rating is important to me.

Kind regards,

Peter

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law