How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8113
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My partner has recently died and I'm afraid his kids will

This answer was rated:

My partner has recently died and I'm afraid his kids will kick me out of the property where we are living as it's in his name.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dorset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a dependant as I only work part time. He was in the process of changing his will at the time of his death to let me stay in the flat.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you tell me what the current (and therefore valid) will states?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything split 50/50 between his kids.
I'm not looking for money but he wanted me to be able to live in the flat until I died or met someone else.
I understood that as I am a dependant that this might be a possibility.

Yes it's a possibility. It's claim under the Inheritance Act as a financial dependent.

You will really need to see a solicitor about making this sort fo claim though, it is not likely to succeed if you try to do it yourself.

You can find one near to you with the link here:

I hope that answers your question today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.

My pleasure.

If you do have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, before you go today, if you could take just a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited by Just Answer for my time spent responding to your question for which I'd be very grateful. Without the rating I'm not paid by the site, so your rating is important to me.

Kind regards,


plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8113
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you