RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Is this a free service? I had a partnership business but my

Hello, is this a free service?
JA: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: I had a partnership business but my partner left the business at the beginning of this year. He is now requesting copies of the tax return. Is he entitled to see this as I've personally filed the return and the business return has nothing to do with his personal tax files
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: He is after 2018/2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: He's also asking for Corporation Tax info as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will wait

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I wondered if you were still seeking assistance with this matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am, otherwise I’ve paid money for nothing!

Thank you I appreciate you will not want to waste money. This service is picked up on emails by the experts so there can be delays in response deepening on the availability of the experts. However, I am happy to help with this. What date did your ex director step down from the board, and also what tax returns is he looking for and did they say why?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He left the business in Jan 2020. His accountant apparently has advised him that he is entitled to have a copy of the tax return & full accounts for 2018/2019. Neither of us took any wages that tax year as the business was still growing albeit slowly. I’ve a suspicion that he is trying to offload some of his personal tax affairs through the business. I’ve already filed that tax year with HMRC so as he has nothing to do with the business now, has not had any income from the business prior to him leaving I fail to understand why he needs the tax return & accounts copy. Perhaps you could let me know if he is entitled to these please?

I am afraid his account is correct that if he was a director at the time then he would be entitled to see that tax returns. A reason just for example is that if he is under tax investigation (personally or through a new business) then he will have to show what tax etc. has went through the company even if it was none. However, to put your mind at ease, he will not be able to offset any tax on old accounts, that have now been filed i.e. 2018/19. However, if for any reason he is attempting to do anything untoward then he would be in breach of fiduciary duty and you could take action against him accordingly if this is the case. However, I don't really see any issue in him having old tax returns but you may want to clarify why he wants them to help put your mind at ease.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I’m just concerned he will try to ‘fiddle’ something as he’s done that in his last 2 businesses.

Well in that case you want to cover yourself by ensuring you have copies etc so that he cannot do anything, if you have serious concerns then you can wait until there is an official application for the records, if they obtain this via court order then you can express your concerns in releasing the tax records.

I hope this information has helped.

Many Thanks

Ross

RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome, I wish you all the best and hope you are safe in the difficult times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same to you & ive rated 5 stars for your help