NewExpertAS4920
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
108371865

I may break up with my partner, we are not married. We own

Customer Question

I may break up with my partner, we are not married.We own two houses together, we let one house, which delivers an income.
We wouldn't be able to sell the house now (given the current climate) so we would be looking to sell this house this time next year.Legally what is my position in terms of cost and responsibility1) Will, I still have to cover half the mortgage when not living at the house,
2) I will have to rent for 6 months, can I receive any cost from this,
3) what are my rights in terms or pets, possessions etc.There are also two stepchildren involved.We haven't decided yet whether she will be moving into the other house or not. if she does, then I will move back here till the house is sold.Thank you
Expert:  NewExpertAS4920 replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I am Anu, a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.
Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there maybe delays in responding due to assisting other customers.

Please confirm are the properties jointly owned? if so, what is your share in the property?

You also mention there are two stepchildren, are these your partner's children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the properties are 50% owned by the both of us. The children are hers.

thank you for your response. I will try and address each of your queries:

1) As the mortgage is in your joint names, you will be responsible for paying your half of the mortgage, whether or not you live in the property.

2) unless something is agreed between you and your expartner, you will not be entitled to recover the costs of the rent. I note there are two houses, are you not able to live one whilst your partner lives in the other?

3) You will be entitled to the possessions you have brought.

i hope this answers your query. if not, please let me know.

Can I assist you further?

lease kindly confirm whether you require any further assistance.