How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 14268
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I jointly own property with someone. can I put it on the

Customer Question

hi. I jointly own property with someone. can I put it on the market without their permission and have people view it and make offers
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: cumbria eden valley
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: my exes refusing to buy me out for an equal 50/50 share. I've done nothing but get it valued
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: its valued at 50k - its land both residential and amenity
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes you can do this as you are a legal owner of the property. Bear in mind if an offer is made, and accepted, your co owner needs to agree to the sale at that point otherwise the purchase will not go through. You could apply to force a sale of the property if your co-owner refuses. Or you could sever the joint tenancy in to a distinct share (known as tenants in common) and sell your share to someone or a company.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps? If you can reply “yes”, or when you have the chance would you mind giving me a positive rating for the answer (the site will then credit me for my time). There should be a rating system at the top of the screen. Any other queries please let me know.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jim . I seperated from my ex in December and moved into a caravan nearby . He didn’t want me to stay in our joint. Owned home . I officially moved out in March and since May am renting my own house . We share kids 5 days on 5 days off for now . I give him half the family allowance . He has no bills because we lived off grid for 10 years and completely own our property . I’m renting a house and paying bills . Should I continue to pay him half the family allowance when I am struggling financially ?
Also we have a joint family business but it was only registered as him as a sole trader because that was easy . I can prove it’s a joint business though I wa never paid and all our assets come from that . All I have in my name is ***** ***** . We weren’t married . Is there a timescale for when I can claim half of everything ? We have £40-50k of assets , and the land he lives on is valued at £50k . He told me last week unless I accepted £23k by last Monday wouldn’t get anything . I said no . I want £25k ( half ) and just a small part of assets ( about 20%). There is no proof of ownership of them . We made them together ( 5 gypsy caravans , 2 carts , 2 carriages , 2 horse boxes , 3 horses ) I only want two gypsy caravans .
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the further details, though the question has moved outside of my area of expertise. I will therefore opt out to let another expert assist you with your question going forwards. Please do not reply to this message as the question will stay with me and there will be a delay with the reallocation.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks / if we become tenants in common and I try to sell how do we decide which parts are sold ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small Part of the land is residential , test is agricultural amenity land with permission to run our eco tourism business doing horse drawn holidays and renting out gypsy caravans
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another land question . If I sell my land is there a percentage that is classed as income by hmrc ? Or can I reinvest in more land or property ??