james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Is there a time limit on using adultery as a reason for

Is there a time limit on using adultery as a reason for divorce?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No papers have be signed yet. I am currently waiting for a letter through from the co-op but I have seen the draft and it states my husband is filing due to a break down in marriage
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Merseyside
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hello I will assist you today.

yes there is a time limit to be able to use adultery

You must not have lived together as a couple for six months or longer after you discovered that your partner had been unfaithful with another person. If you remain living together as a couple for six months, you will not be able to use this as your reason for divorce.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been living seperately since finding out which has now been 21 months.
My husband is dealing with the divorce through the co-op legal services. I am still waiting for my copy of the letter so, so far, nothing has been signed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband has stated that wehave been living apartfor two years. This is not true for a few more months. Will the arrangement be pushed back if I disagree to that timescale?

Adultery is one reason to divorce.

The two year separation is another ground for divorce.

They are both separate grounds for divorce

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adultery is the real reason and we are not quite at the 2 year mark just yet. My husband does not want me to change the time scale he has put on the papers. Will it cause a major set back in the process if I do?

You don’t need to wait 2 years to divorce by way of adultry