How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aaron D Your Own Question
Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 572
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Aaron D is online now

How can I lodge a claim for my ex wife to contribute to the

This answer was rated:

how can I lodge a claim for my ex wife to contribute to the costs of our 16 year old daughter? She lives with our 18 year old daughter in London, both are full time students, and I cover all of their living expenses. I live in Qatar, and my ex wife also lives in London and doesnt contribute anything
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no, can I do this?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: i live in Qatar, my daughters and ex wife are in London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am keen to know what my options are

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

I'm sorry but there really isn't any applications you can make in respect of this. The trouble you have is that your daughter is 16 and does not live with you. If she were living with you then you might have been able to apply for CSA in certain circumstances but with the 16 year old and the 18 year old living together without their they are no longer dependents.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as both girls are full time students, and I pay all of their costs (rent, food, bills, study costs) does this not count as being dependent on me? They lived with their mother her partner up until June last year, and her partner told them to leave. The police were called, so there is a record of the incident. I came temporarily to London until December, so I could set them up with their own place. Does this make any difference to my circumstances?

No I'm afraid it doesn't. The fact is she is 16 and is not living with either parent so you cannot make any claims on her behalf. If they lived with you then you could claim CSA but they do not live with you so you cannot.

Aaron D and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you