How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2780
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am looking for some info regarding family law. I don't

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking for some info regarding family law. I don't have any contact with my mother from A couple months. Now i got a letter from A solicitor that she wants to re establish Her contat with my daughter. I don't agree to this because she is very abusive, and just an evil person with bad impact on my child. I feel like I need to protect her from my disfunctional family. What can happen and how likely it is for Her to get a permission to apply for contact order?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what can you say about it Then?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience.
Grandparents do not have an automatic right to have contact with a grandchild and there are several steps that have to be taken prior to them being permitted to contact the child, if at all. Firstly the court encourages mediation, which you may opt to not to go to or you may attend and say why it is that you have refused contact. Whatever is said during the meeting you may ask for that to be recorded and reported to the court.
If mediation is not successful, the grandparent has to first apply for permission to apply for contact and there will be a hearing as to whether they should be allowed contact.

essentially in determining whether there should be contact the court will look at what is in the child’s best interest. They will consider such factors as:

a. The nature of the proposed application.
b. The grandparents connection with the child.
c. Any risks there might be of the application disrupting the child’s life to such an extent that they would be harmed by it.

you will also be able to give evidence as to any factors which you believe the court should consider in its determination of whether there is any risk posed to the child.
My recommendation therefore is for you to respond to the letter stating that you will object to any applications for contact and state briefly why. This is so it is in record from the outset what issues you have with the grandmother. Of course, you do not in theory have to respond, you could simply wait for the court application at which point you could state why you are objecting.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best