ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

HOW can I qualify for legal aid in a family court case, yes

Customer Question

hOW can I qualify for legal aid in a family court case
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: yes I have run out of money I owe £40k to my last solicitor and I intend to pay them back from the proceeds of the family home which will sell within the next 2 weeks I will end up with about £7k from the sale I also cohabit with my partner who is working I have lost my job
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what advice are you going to give
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Public funding is available in family matters in situations where, for example:

• you or your family are at risk of abuse or serious harm, for example domestic violence or forced marriage
  • you’re at risk of homelessness or losing your home
  • you’ve been accused of a crime, face prison or detention
  • you’re being discriminated against

you may find therefore that if it is a straightforward divorce application where there is applications for division of matrimonial assets you would not be eligible.

additionally, eligibility may be means tested. So, if the court finds that you are able to afford to pay you may find that you would not be eligible.

The Solicitors bill on the face of it does seem high, however, I am unable to comment as I do not know what their hourly rate is and the level of work they may have done for you so far, you may want to see whether they are able to review the existing bill as well as how much you are being charged hourly. Alternatively, you may want to consider instructing a solicitor on a fixed fee basis.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL