Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I'm soon to divorce, & am looking for some guidance on the

Customer Question

Hi, i'm soon to divorce, & am looking for some guidance on the financial settlement.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: briefly, but that was a while ago. i have questions about whether we should look to transfer properties before we divorce (although we have lived separately for over 1 year).
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, i think that's it for now. thanks.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 2 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, do you have a particular query? I saw you mentioned about properties.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, yes, I have a couple of sub-questions. we own 7 properties together, & I'm trying to work out the best way forward, given that now is not a good time to sell. i'm keen to know if we can transfer properties between us before we divorce, with no CGT? however the mortgages are base upon my income, so I'm concerned that even if that was feasible from a tax perspective, it may not be possible if my ex can't take on half the debt? alternatively i will put the properties in tenants in common so that I can leave my 50% share to my children & that they won't automatically go to him when i die. fyi he moved out of our home in November 2018.

Hi thank you for your message, your best option is for the properties to be transferred as part of the divorce process because there would not be CGT payable. In terms of your ex taking on half the debt turning the properties into tenancies in common is the best option. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.