How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2862
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

My wife wants me out after 20 years of marriage its her

This answer was rated:

My wife wants me out after 20 years of marriage its her house. I have not got the money to get a solicitor and she knows that how can you help me. She want me to rent a room somewhere but is just finding the money
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no we have know children and I would not know the first thing to do
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Folkestone Kent. I just need to know were I stand and my rights as she want me out ASAP
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

If you have lived for 20yrs with your wife in that house. You can apply for an Occupation order for that property.

An occupation order is a court order which specifies who is and who is not able to live in the family home and/or who can enter the surrounding area. An occupation order can also be used to gain the right to return to the family home

You will need to show some sort of connection to the property that you want to be included in the occupation order.

Note that you do not necessarily have to own the house.

Courts can consider factors such as the housing needs of those involved in the order (and any children involved) and the behaviour of the applicant and the respondent.

The impact upon the health (both mental and physical) of those involved, can also be considered.

For further information regarding the occupation order, please click following-

If you need further assistance, please let me know.


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know were I stand legally

You can stay at the house, you can get Occupation order for refraining your wife to kicking you out of the property.

As the house is solely owned by your wife, she is free to sell the house, before the start of the divorce proceedings. At divorce, all the assets get equally divided between the parties.

So, till then, for now, get the Occupation order for that house.

Vineet S and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you