plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Could I serve divorce papers with mail redirection service?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He left the marital home and applied for mail redirection, which I got a notification of it as I still live in the marital home. Could I write his address as the marital home address for mail redirection to serve him with papers as I don't know his current address.

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

In my view this would suffice. If he does not respond to the papers you may need to arrange bailiff service, but for now if you know the mail will be redirected to him, then use this address.

I hope that answers your query?

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to arrange bailiff service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he didn't respond, would the divorce proceedings be considered to be started already? Could he have the opportunity to act as if he didn't get the papers and the proceedings didn't start and apply for a foreign divorce?

This is the form for bailiff service - only to be used if he does not respond:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-d89-request-for-personal-service-by-a-court-bailiff

If proceedings have been commenced, then this should prevent an overseas application succeeding. The court will have the date that the papers were sent to him - so it should not be difficult to prove that your application was the first to be made.

There cannot be two separate cases in two separate counties at the same time.

I hope that clarifies things?

Kind regards, Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.

My pleasure.