plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My wife has asked for a divorce. We are a blended family and

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my wife has asked for a divorce. We are a blended family and have been together 6 years and married for the last 4. I moved into her home 5 years ago and did not have a property of my own coming into the relationship. 2 years ago I was put on the deeds as tennant in common and we decided to extend the house together by adding 80000 in additional borrowing to the mortgage. I was responsible for paying off this additional part of the loan. There has never been any violence or DV but we have struggled with a large blended family of which I live with her teenage daughters with my 4 children staying alternate weekends and half the school holidays. I’ve been asked to leave the house as she wants to end our marriage citing that it has worn her down. I do not want the marriage to end but have agreed to move out and rent a flat. I leave with nothing and will struggle to pay for the flat and living expenses. What I need advice on is whether I would be entitled to a settlement from the house in order to put down a deposit to buy my own place in the divorce? We are both 50 so I do not have 25 years of work ahead of me to pay a full mortgage so would if anything would I be entitled to claim for?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No- there is no issue with children in this matter as her children will remain with her - she doesn’t want to claim child Maintenon as they are not my children and their father is actively supporting them. My children live with their mother and I support them financially through child maintence - another reason why it will be hard to make ends meet by moving out
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: i do know where the local court is. Sorry have I approached the wrong service for my question? This is not centred around the children rather against our home and what entitlements I have now I’m being asked to leave it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question, I'll come back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You should be entitled to something from the property, yes.

You have contributed significantly in addition to being married. The previously owned property has essentially become in part a marital asset due to the circumstances you describe above.

You may need a solicitor to write to her in order to make an offer to settle the property issue, by way of compensation for your share.

You can find a solicitor with the link here to act for you: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I hope this assists?

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.