How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8124
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My wife has asked for a divorce. We are a blended family and

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my wife has asked for a divorce. We are a blended family and have been together 6 years and married for the last 4. I moved into her home 5 years ago and did not have a property of my own coming into the relationship. 2 years ago I was put on the deeds as tennant in common and we decided to extend the house together by adding 80000 in additional borrowing to the mortgage. I was responsible for paying off this additional part of the loan. There has never been any violence or DV but we have struggled with a large blended family of which I live with her teenage daughters with my 4 children staying alternate weekends and half the school holidays. I’ve been asked to leave the house as she wants to end our marriage citing that it has worn her down. I do not want the marriage to end but have agreed to move out and rent a flat. I leave with nothing and will struggle to pay for the flat and living expenses. What I need advice on is whether I would be entitled to a settlement from the house in order to put down a deposit to buy my own place in the divorce? We are both 50 so I do not have 25 years of work ahead of me to pay a full mortgage so would if anything would I be entitled to claim for?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No- there is no issue with children in this matter as her children will remain with her - she doesn’t want to claim child Maintenon as they are not my children and their father is actively supporting them. My children live with their mother and I support them financially through child maintence - another reason why it will be hard to make ends meet by moving out
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: i do know where the local court is. Sorry have I approached the wrong service for my question? This is not centred around the children rather against our home and what entitlements I have now I’m being asked to leave it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question, I'll come back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You should be entitled to something from the property, yes.

You have contributed significantly in addition to being married. The previously owned property has essentially become in part a marital asset due to the circumstances you describe above.

You may need a solicitor to write to her in order to make an offer to settle the property issue, by way of compensation for your share.

You can find a solicitor with the link here to act for you:

I hope this assists?

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you