SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

Concerning Domestic Violence, Do you find that In court the

Concerning Domestic Violence, Do you find that In court the male abusers are more likely to have a longer and harsher sentence than female abusers due to gender or appearance. Even if it is uncommon do you think this is an issue that sometimes occurs?Also do you think the imbalance of representation of male victims and the fear that they won't be taken seriously in court is what causes men to not speak up about it?
Continuing on from the last question.Based on experience men do receive harsher sentences.It might interest you to read the sentencing guidelines for DV.
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/overarching-guides/magistrates-court/item/domestic-abuse/I have noticed men are reluctant to come forward with domestic violence and there is a strong stigma. I've also noticed that men are less likely to be believed.Kind regards
S