How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8141
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I separated from my partner of 18 years in 2017 and have

This answer was rated:

Hi I separated from my partner of 18 years in 2017 and have received next to nothing in maintenance in that time. Can you tell me what I am legally entitled to? Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No nothing legal has happened
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: At the time we lived in France in my house, which I have had to le
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry which I left to come to England. He remained in France
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says you will get a response in 30 minutes

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over this and come back to you shortly with a response.

Can you tell me - were/ are you married?

Do you have any children under 18?

Do you own any assets such as property together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were never married but have 2 children age 14 and 10. We own no property together. I own the house in France which he was living in until recently, he now lives with his girlfriend and the children and I live in his house in England.

Have you ever contacted the child maintenance service yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, and as he has moved in with girlfriend I don’t know his address. I just want to know what legally I am entitled too regarding maintenance. He pays £275 monthly for the mortgage on his house and in 4 years given me £2000 . Less than ££10 per week for 2 children.

The CMS guidelines say that he should contribute approximately 16% of his gross weekly income to the upbringing of his 2 children.

So it depends on what he is earning to be honest.

In terms of a claim, the CMS or the court will not backdate, so any claim would only be valid from the date it is made.

Can I clarify anything further in that case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that’s fine, thank you for your time

My pleasure.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you