plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I've been married for 24 years i have no access to my

Hi there I've been married for 24 years i have no access to my husbands accounts how do i go about finding out what i am entitled to in a divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no nothing but the marriage is definitely going to end in divorce and i want to know how to go about finding out what I am entitled to
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: HERTFORDSHIRE
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: three children 22 19 and 15
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
his businesses are co owned with his unmarried sister with whom he has business accounts we have no joint accounts

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

The only way you would formally find out what the joint assets are is by asking for financial disclosure, of all assets and bank accounts.

If he won't divulge this information willingly, the you would need to first file for divorce, then try family mediation to see if this information can be shared through that route.

If not, then you apply to the court for a financial order and the court will order him to disclose all of his assets.

The starting point would be an equal split of all assets.

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the businesses have debt associated with them that is not in my name how will i be able to be awarded half the asset? will we need to sell all the businesses ? If i file for divorce will this be done automatically ?

The business would not be sold automatically. It is impossible to give a generalised view about this, without some idea of the assets in play.

It could be that he is awarded the business assets and you the personal ones - it will really depend on the actual figures though.

I hope that is clear.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.