How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8140
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I've been in running court battle for 2.5 years with my ex

This answer was rated:

Hi there. I've been in long running court battle for 2.5 years with my ex regarding our children. It is possible that this will be going on for at least another 6 months to a year. We are awaiting drug tests at present. My question is I've been fortunate to have legal aid through this process as I'm single mum on uc. If my situation changed and I no longer received uc or a lower amount then this could effect my legal aid. If my uc stopped then would I have to pay the amount (about 10000) that's accumulated over that time or just start paying for solicitor after this happens. I'd never afford to pay this amount. I hope this makes sense
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: It's been in family court for 2.5 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: About my uc and legal aid?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank u

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over your question and come back to you shortly with a response.

It's possible, if your income goes up, that you may have repay some of the legal aid charges. It would be a payment plan over time though, rather than a demand for a ;ump sum, and it's not likely to be all of it.

This leaflet here hopefully explains more:

You have to keep the LAA informed of any changes to your income.

I hope this assists in explaining the situation for you.

If you were no longer eligible for legal aid you would either have to represent yourself or fund a solicitor privately.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you