plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I've been in running court battle for 2.5 years with my ex

Hi there. I've been in long running court battle for 2.5 years with my ex regarding our children. It is possible that this will be going on for at least another 6 months to a year. We are awaiting drug tests at present. My question is I've been fortunate to have legal aid through this process as I'm single mum on uc. If my situation changed and I no longer received uc or a lower amount then this could effect my legal aid. If my uc stopped then would I have to pay the amount (about 10000) that's accumulated over that time or just start paying for solicitor after this happens. I'd never afford to pay this amount. I hope this makes sense
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: It's been in family court for 2.5 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: About my uc and legal aid?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank u

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over your question and come back to you shortly with a response.

It's possible, if your income goes up, that you may have repay some of the legal aid charges. It would be a payment plan over time though, rather than a demand for a ;ump sum, and it's not likely to be all of it.

This leaflet here hopefully explains more: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/860909/Client_Legal_Aid_Leaflet.pdf

You have to keep the LAA informed of any changes to your income.

I hope this assists in explaining the situation for you.

If you were no longer eligible for legal aid you would either have to represent yourself or fund a solicitor privately.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.