How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6377
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My sister, who is too stessed and anxious to contact you

This answer was rated:

my sister, who is too stessed and anxious to contact you herself, has recieved a dept collection letter from an account she had with her ex. when they split she gave him her card to this joint account and never used it. She did continue to get her wage paid in and he gave her the cash. she didn't ever use or spend on the account. In addition, she was not a part of any financial things, he conrolled it all. Now she has a letter saying she owes over £2000. is there any advice for this matter. can she request bank statements and to prove she did not spean the money? would the two cards be different (the joint account cards)
JA: Where is your sister? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds
JA: What steps has your sister taken so far?
Customer: phone me in tears!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they have been seperated 8ish years. they don't get on, they have 2 children.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can she prove with the statements that the debt is his?

If so, I suggest she makes a money claim in the small claims court for the amount that is being sought. As the account is in joint names and they are joint and severally liable the bank will not be necessarily interested in the dispute between them as to who owes the money, which is why it's a civil small claims matter.

I hope this assists?

Can I help further?

plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6377
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you