plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My sister, who is too stessed and anxious to contact you

my sister, who is too stessed and anxious to contact you herself, has recieved a dept collection letter from an account she had with her ex. when they split she gave him her card to this joint account and never used it. She did continue to get her wage paid in and he gave her the cash. she didn't ever use or spend on the account. In addition, she was not a part of any financial things, he conrolled it all. Now she has a letter saying she owes over £2000. is there any advice for this matter. can she request bank statements and to prove she did not spean the money? would the two cards be different (the joint account cards)
JA: Where is your sister? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds
JA: What steps has your sister taken so far?
Customer: phone me in tears!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they have been seperated 8ish years. they don't get on, they have 2 children.

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can she prove with the statements that the debt is his?

If so, I suggest she makes a money claim in the small claims court for the amount that is being sought. As the account is in joint names and they are joint and severally liable the bank will not be necessarily interested in the dispute between them as to who owes the money, which is why it's a civil small claims matter.

I hope this assists?

Can I help further?

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law