Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
107933507

I have split up with my ex and moved out of the house 7

Hi there, I have split up with my ex and moved out of the house 7 months ago, I am still paying the mortgage as we are joint owners and the utility bills, we had the house on the market and actually sold it but she then backed out. I want tk know where I stand
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The house is in Broughton Astley Leicestershire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am concerned she won't sell and neither of us can afford to buy each other out, can I stop paying bills as long as I continue with the mortgage payment
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are Civil Partners and will be getting a divorce and can i take her to court if i want to make sure we sell the house Thankyou

Good evening, is she still living in the house? And are the bills in your joint names?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
to both

That is fine, essentially you can stop paying the bills no problem but you need to be sure she will maintain the payments because if she fails to pay your name may default. I would advise keeping up the mortgage payments for your own benefit, but if you are both not in a position to buy each other out and if she is not consenting to sell then yes you should apply to the court for an order for sale. Does this help?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
it does, thankyou

No problem, if you could accept and rate my response then Just Answer will credit me for assisting you. Many thanks