plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My wife who started a relationship with a local convicted

My wife who started a relationship with a local convicted drug dealer recently applied for a clean break divorce ( she hoped to marry the man that she was now living with.
I was sent the details from the court and as it meant that she would not look to me for financial support i agreed to the divorce going ahead and returned the documents signed as requested. Some time later I nreceived mail confirming they had been received.
Subsequently her new partner died fron a long standing condition. One of our daughtersn has now advised my wife to put the clean break divorce she applied for ' on hold ' and go for financial support from me on the basis that I do not wish to contribute to the balance owing on a car that she bought since she moved in with him.
Can she do this and how can I object to any such settlement in line with her change of mind and circumstances ? Thank you
Robert H Garton

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Essentially until the court has made the clean break order final, either side can decide not to proceed with the agreement. this means it can revert to a full and frank disclosure situation where the court decides how assets should be shared.

However, unless you are classed as a high earner the court is not going to order that you financially support your soon to be ex wife.

Can I assist further today?

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law