How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6475
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My wife who started a relationship with a local convicted

This answer was rated:

My wife who started a relationship with a local convicted drug dealer recently applied for a clean break divorce ( she hoped to marry the man that she was now living with.
I was sent the details from the court and as it meant that she would not look to me for financial support i agreed to the divorce going ahead and returned the documents signed as requested. Some time later I nreceived mail confirming they had been received.
Subsequently her new partner died fron a long standing condition. One of our daughtersn has now advised my wife to put the clean break divorce she applied for ' on hold ' and go for financial support from me on the basis that I do not wish to contribute to the balance owing on a car that she bought since she moved in with him.
Can she do this and how can I object to any such settlement in line with her change of mind and circumstances ? Thank you
Robert H Garton

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Essentially until the court has made the clean break order final, either side can decide not to proceed with the agreement. this means it can revert to a full and frank disclosure situation where the court decides how assets should be shared.

However, unless you are classed as a high earner the court is not going to order that you financially support your soon to be ex wife.

Can I assist further today?

plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6475
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you