How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6362
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I am trying to get some advice for my son whose wife left

This answer was rated:

I am trying to get some advice for my son whose wife left the marital home Saturday 27/6/20.Apparently she has been seeing someone behind his back, taking out payday loans in his name etc. He is at home now looking after his 3 children and I wonder if you could give me some advice to point him in the right direction.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, he has tried to get an appointment with C.A.B. with no joy, he has changed the locks he doesn't really know what to do next, how do you go about filing papers with the family court?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Bury st Edmunds, Suffolk
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Any advice they can offer to be honest.

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

What specifically would you/ he like advice about?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
My son found out his wife has been seeing someone behind his back plus she has been taking out payday loans in his name without his knowledge etc. He has taken this week off work because he has 3 children to take care of. His wife left the marital home on Saturday 27/6/20, he has had the locks changed but I need to try and point him in the right direction, like filing paperwork to the family court and basically get the ball rolling so to speak.

Hello, and thanks for the reply and the call request. I was working on something else so have just seen this. I'll gladly accept and call shortly. Thank you.

plclegal and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Good to speak to you.

So the information your son needs...

1. Divorce can be filed for online - see here:

He needs to file under unreasonable behaviour, as we discussed.

2. The finances has to start with an attempt at mediation - and the link here allows you to search for a mediation service nearby (though appreciate that most will deal with this by way of telephone anyway in the current climate):

3. The form to start the financial order application is here:

Happy to assist with follow up questions should you have them.