plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Myself and my husband split up in August last year. He has

Myself and my husband split up in August last year. He has been having our 8 year old daughter most weekends since then. However since lockdown I have been advised that he is regularly visiting a friend and having people to his property. He picked her up on Friday last week and subsequently drove her 200 miles to Liverpool to collect his other daughters who had travelled from Northern Ireland on the ferry.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wiltshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t done anything as yet. My daughter is so upset as she thought I would be angry with her, which I’m obviously not. I am concerned her is putting my daughter at risk as he is not adhere to the rules. She was in the car for almost 12 hours and then with step siblings who also have not been adhering to lockdown
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we are in the process of divorce but as we both serve for the British army the financial side is being held up due to lockdown. He is also not providing anything financially for our daughter

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over this and come back to you shortly with a response.

Obviously the first thing to say is that the rules are relaxing a little, and the situation is changing fairly quickly.

Is your daughter particularly vulnerable to covid-19, being in a high risk group? Are you?

Do you have a contact order in place or is this just arranged between you?

Have you expressed your concerns to him?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The fact that the situations are changing is why I am not sure where I stand.
Neither of us are particularly at risk, but I am concerned that her step siblings have not been adhering to lockdown and have been on a ferry with god knows who.
There is not currently a contact order in place.
I am not able to raise my concerns with him as it just ends up in a row which upsets my daughter.

OK, thanks for confirming.

The issue is that a lot of the guidance has been just that - guidance.

With no court order in place there's no powers to dictate terms of or withhold contact really.

If you were concerned that she was at immediate risk of harm you could stop contact. If this is a more long term issue about both adhering to the same safety protocols with your daughter then mediation and ultimately court will be the arena to decide the issue.

Where you can't reach agreement yourselves, formal steps such as mediation and/or a court order are needed.

I hope that clarifies things as they stand currently?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for the clarification I shall seem to get a formal contact order in place