How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2526
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Can I please get help with my question regarding a

This answer was rated:

Hi, can I please get help with my question regarding a complication in my marriage. I live in the same house as my husband, a rental property. The tenancy is due to be renewed anytime this month but he recently has mentioned that he is moving out due to his job etc and that he won’t be continuing with the tenancy. He has been paying the full rent but doesn’t want to anymore. I want to know his obligations regarding my provisions as a wife and can he refuse to provide for me? I have a full time job but I have my own expenses to take care and can’t afford the accommodation. Thank you very much.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi. I am based in Cardiff. My marriage is registered in India but has been recognised here as well, according to my understanding as the details have been used for several successful visa applications over the years. I came to the UK on the spouse visa.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none. This is the first time I am looking for legal help.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s all I guess at the moment. My visa status is ILR.

Hi, I'm Lea

Is this a joint tenancy in both your names, or only in his name?

Please read the following:

  1. This is an email service, not live chat, so responses are not always instantaneous.
  2. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  3. I will ask questions on what I need from you, please answer each question clearly and briefly.
  4. If you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that. As per no.2 above, I will not be calling you.
  5. If you do want a call, let me know so that I can opt out of your question and another expert can assist you.
  6. Please refer all questions regarding finance and costs of the site to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have my name on the tenancy agreement. But he has been agreed to be the primary payee.

If you are joint tenants, then you are jointly and severally liable for the rent payments - so if he leaves, the landlord could ask either of you, or both, to make the rent payments, and if the rent failed to be paid, the landlord could chase both of you for any default.

Your husband cannot end the tenancy without both of you agreeing to move out - him leaving does not end your joint tenancy - it only ends if you both leave the property at the same time. If one of you stays, the joint tenancy continues (if it is outside of the fixed term it continues as a monthly periodic tenancy) and you both remain responsible for the rent.

To answer your specific question, your husband is not legally obliged to provide you with any income once he leaves you, until or unless a court orders him to pay you spousal maintenance. If you cannot afford the rent where you currently live, you should agree to terminate the tenancy and find yourselves somewhere you can each afford individually.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're very welcome.

I'd appreciate if you could kindly take a moment to rate positively using the five stars at the top of your screen as that is how I am credited for assisting you today - thank you!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Will do. Thanks. If I have any more questions. Can I post them here again?

If you have future questions and wish me to assist you, you can post them here:

SASH_Law and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok great. Thanks

You're very welcome.

All the best.