How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6424
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have lived with a guy 30 years and we have now split up I

This answer was rated:

I have lived with a guy 30 years and we have now split up I have always contributed toward bills etc with a paper trail from direct debits I also purchased nearly everything in the house carpets furniture electric items the house is paid for where do I stand for getting some money of him
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No he has offered me £5.000 which is a insult
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Alfreton Derbyshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also had a son with him who is now 27

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over this and come back to you shortly with a response.

Can you please confirm that you are not married?

Are you able to evidence what you have put into the home, specifically anything that has increased its value?

plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not married the house is worth £160000 it’s paid for he has over 100000 in savings I’ve contributed to the kitchen bought all the electric items ie washer dryer cooker fridge freezer microwave dish washer all the carpets and curtains Venetian blinds and almost all the furniture I paid for electric tv licence and bought all the food
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry not paying £44 I didn’t see that
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do not call I haven’t got £44 spare

OK - the call request is automated but as you have indicated you don't require it I won;t call. I've sent a message to customer services to say that you didn't take the option.

Please also email***@******.*** to make sure the charge is not made.

Ok, I'll respond to your question below, just let me type a response.

If everything is in his name, you have to establish your interest in the property through an area of law called trusts law.

The specific type of trust is called a constructive trust - where you gain an interest in the property through contributing towards it.

This is normally limited to angle contributions that improve the property itself, such as renovation, home improvements, decorating.

Furnishings and white goods don't increase the value really, they would be the subject of a dispute as to ownership. So for example, if you bought all of the items in the house to use jointly, then you should walk away with half of the items. They are jointly owned, and you are entitled to half of them.

That's a dispute about belongings though, not a share in the value of the property, which was the first point.

So there's two routes - one for a share in the property value and the other to share jointly owned belongings.

You should probably see a local solicitor and work up a proposal to put to him.

I hope that clarifies things for you?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh my god it’s cost me a fiver and the 43.68 you have took for something I already new please reimburse the charge for the call I didn’t have

I have nothing to do with the charges - please contact customer services to have the call cost reimbursed. As advised I have also let them know the same, as you did click the call button I have no control over that.

I have answered the question you asked with a reply that sets out the law for you. Let me know if I can clarify anything further at this stage. Kind regards.