How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5324
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I need advice on how to sell my half of the property to my

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I need advice on how to sell my half of the property to my ex partner. We agreed on 400K but he was only offered 350K and offered to pay the last 50K in few months time. The house is mortgage free. Thank you . Maria
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: hertfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can i ask how much do you chnrge please charge
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I would like to have a tight contract for the last 50,000 he ows me if I accept 350K now. How can I make this work? His broker told him he can re-mortgage the house for additional 50 K in 6 months time after completion. But i do not want to be in a situation where he tells me in 6 months time the situation changed and he can not raise the full amount or any other excuses.

Hi thank you for your message, one option would be to create a deed of trust which is a legal contract between you and the other party in relation to the property which sets out the ownership or financial implications of the property so for example it can say that if the property is sold you will be paid the £50,000 from the sale price and paid to you or within 6 months of the completion date of the property you will be paid £50,000. You can also get a charge registered against the property to protect your interest.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you