How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aaron D Your Own Question
Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 440
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Aaron D is online now

I am starting the process of divorce proceedings - we are

This answer was rated:

I am starting the process of divorce proceedings - we are both still living in the family home but separate rooms etc.. with 3 children. We have been separated 3 years but had not started any procedures, he does not want to do mediation, he wants the courts to sort everything as I was a stay at home mum for a number of years while he was the main breadwinner he tells me I have no right to the house or anything he paid for, clothes cars accessories..

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

Your husband couldn't be any more wrong, that is such an old fashioned view and not one the court takes. The fact that you were a stay at home mum doesn't mean you are likely entitled to 50% of the house etc. You may also be eligible for maintenance, particularly if you are going to be the main carer of the children when you no longer live together.

If you wish, you might be able to get an order that you and the children are allowed to stay in the home until they turn 18, to the exclusion of your husband.

I'd suggest booking a consultation with a solicitor. You can find a local family solicitor here: If you have been the victim of domestic abuse at all (which can include financial abuse/ emotional control) then you might be eligible for legal aid.

Even if you have to represent yourself at court, the judge will see to it that you are not disadvantaged. The court would never allow a settlement where he gets everything and you get nothing in these circumstances.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Aaron D and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 22 hours ago.
Thank you Aaron this is very helpful, i will look into booking a consultation with a solicitor who can give me some more information. Thank you for your time.

No problem. Good luck with it.