How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4688
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Social services want to inform my partners children of my

This answer was rated:

Social services want to inform my partners children of my conviction in 1998 is there anything We can do to prevent this from happening?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Children are under safeguarding and I have spoken to the social worker and expressed that I’m not happy
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t have contact with children they are 13 and 15 years not seen them since November last year!

Hi, I'm Lea

What was the conviction for? Why do SS feel it necessary for the children to be informed if you don't have contact with them?

Please read the following:

  1. This is an email service, not live chat, so responses are not always instantaneous.
  2. All questions asked in my field of expertise can be answered online.
  3. I may well ask you for additional information: please answer each question clearly and briefly.
  4. I do not make phone calls. Phone calls are charged separately to online advice. I will answer your query online. If you make a request for a call it will be open to all other experts.
  5. If you inadvertently click for a call and don't want one, you will need to refer yourself to customer services as I have no control over the phone call offers, the charges or finances of the site. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/em>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon leaI was convicted of indecent assault

Against a child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was minor she was 9 or 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was 16 when the complaint was made!.

Is it the 13 and 15 year old SS wish to inform?

Who do they live with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is 13 and 15 year old,As for the care of the children this is a shared responsibility they stay with mum 3 days and dad 3 days when they are at dads, only when they are at their fathers I see my partner

So what reason have SS given for wanting to inform the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The age of the children teenagers and they would be more aware of what’s going on around them,in my defence I don’t see them!,
However I have said that in the future this could change,
Obviously when they do couldn’t we review the situation then?..also it’s a big responsibility for a teenager to have this information don’t you think and also a dangerous one if it was to get out to someone else should they tell another person/persons for example,
I understand they have a duty to safeguard I agree however I don’t see them,what do advise?

I suspect the reason SS are concerned is because you have said that you may have contact in the future, so they want to ensure before that occurs that the teenagers are already in possession of the information that SS feels they need in order to safeguard themselves.

Unfortunately, given the type of offence, it is never spent, and anyone with children who has a relationship with you will always be informed, and in the case of older children, they will also be informed. It's about transparency and safeguarding, which you clearly understand, and unfortunately someone's normal rights for privacy (yours in this case) have to be bypassed in order to protect others. There isn't anything that you can do to stop SS taking action about this and informing the children.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you’ve explained I understand the reasons why seeing it in writing rather than a phone call with social services makes for a clearer understanding ,I think it would be better that my partner tell the children in this instance so when they are asked about it they can say to social services we already know the situation, what would your advice?

Yes, I am inclined to agree with you that your partner is better placed to inform her children. At least that way the mother can answer any questions they have. SS will undoubtedly still want to speak to the children to double check that they have been given accurate information - but as you say, when this occurs the children can say that their mother already informed them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou you very much for you expertise and guidance!
I now know what is best way forward and hopefully the social services step back!!
Just a quick question when the children know does that mean if all parties are aware that I can see the kids providing they want to of course and in a controlled environment like adults around when I around for instance?

Once the children are aware, it may be possible for you to spend time with them whilst with their mum. That is likely to be something that SS will want to monitor initially.

SASH_Law and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you