How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8140
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Can a copy of divorce certificate from department of Home

This answer was rated:

Can a copy of divorce certificate from department of Home Affairs in South Africa be sufficient in divorce proceedings

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you clarify the context please - if you already have a South African divorce certificate what divorce proceedings are you referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a marriage certificate but I don’t know if it’s original or is it a photocopy. It’s in a landscape version. It could be a further request of marriage certificate but it looks like a copy. I have asked an organisation to send me an unabridged Apostille marriage certificate for my certificate will be sufficient?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It takes 6 weeks to 8 weeks to get this in the meantime can I use the marriage certificate that I have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the marriage certificate to start divorce process

You do normally need to supply originals, but a certified copy should suffice in the absence of the original if it's not possible to obtain it.

In most cases contacting the court directly is the best way to ascertain what will be acceptable in the circumstances.

I hope this assists?

If you can please accept my answer and rate me with 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I rate you do can you advise about immigration

I'm afraid immigration is a separate legal area and one of my colleagues will have to pick that up for you. You can post a new question for that issue and be sure to place it in the immigration law topic! Thanks.

plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8140
Experience: Barrister at law
plclegal and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you