plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

Can a copy of divorce certificate from department of Home

Can a copy of divorce certificate from department of Home Affairs in South Africa be sufficient in divorce proceedings

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will wait

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you clarify the context please - if you already have a South African divorce certificate what divorce proceedings are you referring to?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do have a marriage certificate but I don’t know if it’s original or is it a photocopy. It’s in a landscape version. It could be a further request of marriage certificate but it looks like a copy. I have asked an organisation to send me an unabridged Apostille marriage certificate for my certificate will be sufficient?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It takes 6 weeks to 8 weeks to get this in the meantime can I use the marriage certificate that I have.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I need the marriage certificate to start divorce process

You do normally need to supply originals, but a certified copy should suffice in the absence of the original if it's not possible to obtain it.

In most cases contacting the court directly is the best way to ascertain what will be acceptable in the circumstances.

I hope this assists?

If you can please accept my answer and rate me with 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Before I rate you do can you advise about immigration

I'm afraid immigration is a separate legal area and one of my colleagues will have to pick that up for you. You can post a new question for that issue and be sure to place it in the immigration law topic! Thanks.

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law