How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6597
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I am representing myself in person, I am currently out of

This answer was rated:

I am representing myself in person, I am currently out of work and caring for my son who has a disability and going into secondary in September, I am applying to go back to school to train as a teacher. I have no assets. My ex however has some assets and his interest according to his form E, is approximately 32,000. We have exchanged documents but he has not submitted all his bank statements. He has a solicitor representing him. From his questionnaire, he is looking to ask for pension sharing although he has not declared his pension. I applied to the court to increase child maintenance payment as it is inconsistent and insufficient. He is a pharmacist and says he works 19 hours to reduce child care for his new family. His partner is also a pharmacist and both have personal businesses as well. I have 2 children with him and I have been their main parent. I have the residence order and they spend time with him which is not regular. I want to know how best to defend myself as I can not afford a solicitor like him.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I have filed and we have exchanged form E
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: we just exchanged our questionnaire , chronology and concise statement They have not submitted all his bank statements despite my many requests
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the court is in Kingston upon thames

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

What specifically can I assist with, please? When is your next court hearing?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Peter for getting back to me. I want to know if my ex is entitled to my pension in the future . I have worked as a teaching assistant for 4 years and planning on training as a teacher. He is a pharmacist but says he does not have pension. I am currently out of work now.

He would only be entitled to claim a share of any pension assets accrued during the marriage, and not future assets.

Can I clarify anything further at this stage?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
please. He has assets worth £10,000 and investments of £32,000. He acquired the land worth £10,000 before marriage but the building was done whilst marriage, can I claim an interest in the property ?

Possibly, yes.

The property asset accrued during the marriage, so could be considered a joint asset.

There is no set formal here, and even assets classed as non-marital assets can be considered as part of a settlement depending on the overall picture.

I hope that assists.

If you can please accept my answer and rate me with 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions, should you have them.

plclegal and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. I have done just that.
My ex husband’s solicitors have asked me to give a narrative why I think I am entitled to the property. Which made me wonder if I was entitled to it. If he acquired some more during separation, do I have a stake in those as well?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They have also asked me to present 2 years of my holiday travels . Is that necessary?

Thank you.

Again, possibly.

You could technically be entitled to a share of any asset that he has acquired prior to the divorce being finalised. Claims are stronger if you can demonstrate through a narrative that you have contributed to the property, but it's not essential to have done so to be awarded a share, as the court looks at your competing needs and the assets available to apportion a fair settlement.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I gather my question after going through his questionnaire and then call tomorrow please?

Yes of course - we can arrange a call for you tomorrow, no problem at all.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello Peter
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you available to arrange a call ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can I have beneficial interest in any property that my ex acquired before marriage?

I am away on holiday this week and I will be able to speak to you after the weekend. Otherwise, if you would like a call before then simply put the request in here and it will be released to my colleagues to pick up for you. Thank you.