How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2076
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am getting divorce and we are selling our house. i

This answer was rated:

I am getting divorce and we are selling our house . i couldn't contribute on paying mortgage and home expenses for 9 years , my husband requests me to pay him back from selling the house the amount he paid all those years . is that legally acceptable in UK? we live in London, UK.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your reply . What is your opinion on my question ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How much will the phone call cost me ?

As you are married, so the property is the matrimonial home. The court's starting point is actually 50/50 of the property, though contributions to the purchase price are also taken in to account, as is the length of marriage and a few other factors such as their ages and earning potential for example. They need to get 3 valuations for the property and work out the equity - 50% should be the starting point.....
The court will consider the factors contained within Section 25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 when it assesses a financial settlement. Therefore your ages, length of marriage, any children under 18, your earnings and earning potential (same for your husband), the assets including the former matrimonial home and pensions if applicable, any debts, financial and non-financial contributions to the marriage, your standard of living enjoyed before the marriage breakdown, your financial needs in future and your housing needs, any medical needs and so on.
The starting point is 50% but if there is a disparity in earnings or you have paid more in the way of mortgage/rent, etc, you can ask for more than 50% of the former matrimonial home. It would be worth speaking with her to see if she would agree to any split without having to involve the court. The more that can be agreed without the court's involvement, the better.
If nothing can be agreed then you would need to issue financial remedy proceedings once decree nisi comes through (if you start divorce proceedings), or obtain a decree of judicial separation, so you ask the court to become involved in a financial settlement as well as the divorce.
Before you involve the court with the finances you need to contact a local mediator which is compulsory before you ask the court to intervene in the financial aspect. You can find a local mediator here :
Assuming mediation fails or your Wife doesn't agree to mediation then you will need to issue financial remedy proceedings and you would need to complete and send two completed copies of Form A (one copy is attached) to your local family court and pay a fee of £255 payable to HMCTS. If you are on a low income or have low savings you can ask the court for help with the fee here
The court will then list a first appointment and give directions for a financial dispute resolution hearing (FDR) where the judge will give their opinion on a likely settlement - which usually prompts a settlement at this stage. The court will ensure the parties make full and frank disclosure of their assets and liabilities to ensure the financial positions of you both are known and to allow the court to make a settlement decision. If the case does not settle, further directions will be given and a final hearing may take place if neither of you can agree to settlement terms.
To apply for a judicial separation, the site is here:
To apply for a divorce, the site is here:
And for information on a financial order:

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would like to call you tomorrow if that is ok . How long is the maximum length of the phone call ?

If you make a call request or accept call request, there is no time limit to the call.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just want to make sure you are a U.K. based solicitor and know the regulations in UK , and not American as I guess just answer is an American website

Just answer covers everywhere. I am an English solicitor advocate.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again. Please rate answer.

james bruce and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you