How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6848
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Please... my daughter unborn baby is on child protection.

Customer Question

please... my daughter unborn baby is on child protection. Due to mental health, drug use and DV.. she has moved in with me (her mum) the day before the conference before it when to Child protection.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: They have decided that they need to get legal advice. And we had a legal meeting on Monday with the social work. Letter was ment to be with my daughter by friday (we did not get the letter) my daughter has stated twice that she does not want to live with the babys dad!!!
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No not yet.. as she has not received the papers. They stated in the meeting that they want her and the baby and dad to go to a parent and baby unit.. she told they again. That she did not want to go with the dad. And would go by herself if she had to.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The concern I have is that....... why can she not come with the baby and stay with me.. where she is now.. we have said we are happy to move.. my daughter did self harm in the past and was in hospital due to her mental health
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Hello, my name is*****'m a barrister and I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I will look over this and come back to you shortly with a response.

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for your patience.

It may well be possible for you to have your daughter and her child stay with you - but the allocated social worker would need to conduct an assessment to make sure it's viable and that you will be able to provide the necessary support and safeguarding that a professional placement would.

If she is not keen to live with the baby's father she cannot be forced to do this, but if they are thinking that they might give things another try then a family placement is quite a rare offer and one they should consider. Obviously living with you is a much cheaper option for the local authority too, and they do have to consider cost as a factor in the decision making process.

In order to have the social worker assess you in providing support, your daughter needs to raise this with them ASAP. Viability assessments (initial assessments) can be completed quickly if needed.

I hope that this assists? Can I clarify anything further?

Expert:  plclegal replied 2 days ago.

Hello - just a quick message to make sure that my reply came through? I hope your query has been answered.

If you do have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, before you go today, if you could take just a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited by Just Answer for my time spent responding to your question for which I'd be very grateful. Without the rating I'm not paid by the site, so your rating is important to me.

Kind regards,