How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 18400
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

The council sent information about me too my son that caused

Customer Question

The council sent information about me too my son that caused a family argument
JA: Where is your son? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I moved from London to Southampton my son lives near me
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm paying a bailiff a council tax bill and Ealing Council was notified of my new address by them i have never been registered as living at my sons address and Southampton also know my address because I pay my council tax and have a charge card for the toll Bridge
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

It sounds like you have a claim against the Council for breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.