How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11356
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Is this a free service? I just need advice on how I should

This answer was rated:

Hi. Is this a free service?
JA: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: I just need advice on how long I should allow my 4 year old and 6 year old with SEN go on holiday abroad with there father. My gut is 7 nights for the first time and due to age?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, this is Jim, thank you very much for the question - I will resolve this for you today.

It would really come down to how happy the children are with their Father and how often they see him. If they see him regularly and there is unlikely to be an issue but if you are more comfortable with 7 days then no problem, it sounds reasonable to me. If the kids live with you then he needs a letter of consent to take them abroad, unless there is already a court order in place. I think with the Covid issues and potential for further lockdowns, 7 days is less risky than 14 for obvious reasons. You could suggest 7 days to your husband and hope he agrees - if he doesn't then you do not need to give him a consent letter but he may then apply to the local family court for an order to let him go abroad with the children. You could oppose this application if there are good reasons and age would be a factor, as well as the fact we are dealing with a pandemic situation too (and also the fact the children may not be happy being away from you for more than 7 days). As such, I would propose 7 days to him and point out the above to him. A letter of consent simply needs to say you give your husband written consent to take your children abroad for the 7 days, specify the dates, and sign - then give him the letter.

I hope this helps - please feel free to ask me anything else.

Have a good day,

Hi there, I’m just checking to see if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. Many thanks.

JimLawyer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Jim. Thank you for your time and response, this did help. I think that covers all I need to know. Thanks again, Emma

Thanks Emma, have a good evening.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You too :)