SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Thanks. My daughter is due to have a final hearing at the

Thanks. My daughter is due to have a final hearing at the court s of Justice on Wednesday but has been emailing the local family court since 24th August to request an adjournment as she's been unable to acquire a solicitor to tkae in on as they've all been overloaded due to covid. She spoke to the court clerk on Weds as she'd not had a reply to her emails and was told sh'e have a reply by Thurs or Fri last week. She has not had this reply and is frightened that the adversary's legal rep. will be demanded payment due to there only being two days left. My question then: is she required to notify the applicant's solicitor today that she has asked for an adjourmnet and still waitng. She cannot pay any costs they may have and cannot represent herself.
JA: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes, there have been several court hearings previously but this request for an adjournment was by email and telephone only.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your daughter live in?
Customer: The court is at Feltham (is that Middlesex?) My daughter is in Kingston/Richmond, Surrey.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi, I'm Lea

What type of hearing is it?

Has your daughter contacted the other party's solicitor at all?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She does not have a solicitor currently - this is why we are anxious to know if she was legally required to inform the other party's solicitor whose details she does have?

Yes, she is obliged to discuss her request for an adjournment with the other side before approaching the court. If she had done so, she may have found that they would have agreed to the adjournment - and the solicitor would have written to the court requesting it on the basis of the agreement.

Having bypassed them, and leaving it this late, it is unlikely the court will agree to an adjournment.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

Youre welcome.

Your daughter may have better luck getting a direct access barrister for the hearing - see here: https://www.directaccessportal.co.uk/search/1/barrister