SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

If some writes in a group text saying your are not to be

If some writes in a group text saying your are not to be trusted. Is this slander / deformation? Our sister wrote this on the family group txt. We have asked her to explain her comment but she hasn’t replied.

Hi, I'm Lea

Who did she say it to?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Said to family on group chat. Myself. Brother and other sister

It's not defamation. It is her opinion and she is entitled to hold it. She has not published it to anyone other than those it referred to.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But it is not referring to my sister. She wrote that me and brother were not to be trusted. So this was technically said to our other sister

It's not defamation. It hasn't caused and isn't likely to cause you serious harm, which is a requirement of the tort.

It is her opinion, and she is entitled to hold one.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
If she respond and gives reason which are not true. Would that change things?

No, that would be her responding to your request for further information.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
lying in a group text with 4 people in it you can do without consequence.

As I said, it's her opinion, which may or may not be a lie.

You can of course try to sue her for defamation, but it'll likely be a waste of money as nothing you have said reaches the level where damages would be considered.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
If her lies were to continue I was hoping to send a lawyer letter asking for her proof of her statements and if none request a letter of apology or an apology on group chat. I maybe could say If no apology or explanation I may sue her for defamation. I just want her to be called out on what are lies and made clear to the rest of family that there is no true in what she writes

You can do that if you want to.

A claim for defamation will cost a small fortune, and if you lose, you'll pay her costs too.

Surely within a family you can simply say to the others that she is lying and leave it at that.

Can I clarify anything?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Not that’s all thanks. Don’t want call Haven’t request a call
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Please cancel any call
Request. Must of hit button by mistake
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don’t want to be charge for a call and not wanted

I can't cancel the calls - I have no control over that. You shouldn't be charged if no one calls you (I won't be calling you).

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

You're welcome.

If you have any issues with the call - contact customer services, they are really helpful.