Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have been separated from my wife for 18 months and we are

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have been separated from my wife for 18 months and we are in the process of discussing splitting our assets. We are happy to split 50-50 as things are amicable which includes my pension and me buying her equity stake in the family home which I live in with our 2 adult children (she has bought a property and will be living in with her new partner) so can we commence the process of splitting assets before the 2 years is up and if we are in agreement can we apply direct to the courts without a solicitor?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No steps apart from me us splitting our savings 50-50 when we separated and me giving her £40k in cash towards her property purchase and so I need to raise c£175k to buy her equity stake
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: no live in surrey
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just can we transact before the end of the 2 years and if we do are there any implications of doing now or waiting for the 2 years to elapse before transacting as know we have to wait 2 years before we can actually file for divorce..

Hi, thank you for your message. If you are able to come to an agreement between you then no you will not need a solicitor and you can agree to split assets however you please.I hope this helps. I wish you all the best in this matter. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question. All the best.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so there is no disadvantage of transacting now even though we still have 6 months before we can apply under the 2 year rule?

Hi, thank you for your message. If you agree upon how assets should be split then you can do so. However, to avoid disagreements in the future it is always wise to wait and do it through the courts. But ultimately this is for you to decide. I hope this helps. I wish you all the best in this matter. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question. All the best.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks