ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Divorce / annulment

divorce / annulment

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance

What exactly would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hi, i been reading up on divorce law, and notices the terms under which annulment may be excepted, we dated for 2 years and been married for 5 years, we never consummated the marriage, first 5 years she refused on religious grounds, she did not accept civil marriage as legit, and refused to consummate, she forced me to compromise and accept a religions marriage (her religion, not mine) and i had to convert to her religion also, after all this time i lost complete interest and last 1/2 years ive not been able to consummate, nor am i interested to do so, now i cant even if i wanted to try. would this be good ground for annulment

Kindly give me a minute to type a response

Thank you for your patience.

Based on what you have described you could petition to end the marriage for the reasons stated by you. A basis for an annulment is if a marriage has not been consummated , meaning you have not had sexual intercourse with the person you married since the wedding. So, the simple answer is yes you may do.

All the best. Happy I was able to help. RL

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
also can premarital assets such as buy2let property be excluded from asset shearing in divorce? she has never contributed towards any of the assets. nor have i used funds from the buy2let property to purchase a matrimonial home, they have always been separate.

If it is that the marriage is declared void, you may argue that the property should not be considered to be matrimonial property.