How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7027
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

CHILD MAINTENANCE How can I negotiate better child

Customer Question

CHILD MAINTENANCEHow can I negotiate better child maintenance - it is all based on what the child's autist father is willing to pay, and I have no knowledge of his investments. We were not married and my health is poor due to serious ongoing injuries requiring, ongoing surgery that I cannot afford, in large part due to his negligence 8 years ago. He dictates all the terms and because we have no contact there is no direct communication which , which further complicates any positive solutions to alleviate the situation without it involving family court?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly. Please do not wait on line for a response, you will receive an email notification from JustAnswer to tell you that I have sent a reply.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you Peter- I am also out and about with child care responsibilities. Would really appreciate some mediation type response that can be partially put forward to someone with Aspergers who cannot fathom that the mother being out of pain and better supported benefits the child. I fell as though he is constantly punishing me because I am unable to do things his way, so need some rational methodology to put forward our case. Lara
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

You don't have to involve the family court to arrange child maintenance. You simply need to contact the child maintenance service.

They will make the assessment according to his earnings, and even take payment automatically from wages or his bank account if required. If payments are missed, they will chase this up and enforce in court if needed.

Essentially the CMS takes the stress out of the situation.

You can start the claim here:

I hope this helps.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If you have specific questions arising from my response, let me know and I’ll happily clarify for you.

In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me and is provided by way of general advice.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread remains open for you.

I am always happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the thread.

Thank you for your trust in our service.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks you. I am essentially looking more for a template rather than a formally administered system that is rigid and may not take account of the bigger picture as well. He took early retirement, is consistent with payments, has no other dependants or partner and yet the child and mother appear to have minimal rights and difficulty opening up the discussion to adequately meeting our current needs or our longer term security. Lara
Expert:  plclegal replied 14 days ago.

I understand, but the only way to secure these payments legally is by using this tried and tested system. Mediation may result in a more flexible agreement of course, if this is something that you are willing to try, but a mediation agreement is not legally binding.

I hope that clarifies things and thanks again for your question today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, thank you.
Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great evening.