John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I am desperate. I am extremely clinically vulnerable. My ex

Customer Question

I am desperate. I am extremely clinically vulnerable. My ex lives in a high covid area (Leeds) and I live in a medium area (York). He wants to travel to see him as he usually would on an evening twice a week. He has a rented house here that he uses to see our son. His partner has 6 children. Is it legal for him to come and see our son even though we are in different risk areas? Our son is 12 and I do not rely on him for childcare. I am really concerned that I will catch the virus if he sees our son.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: none. We have in informal arrangement at the moment. He lives with me and goes to see his Dad twice a week and every other weekend.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  John LLB replied 6 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Thank you for your message and I certainly appreciate your concerns.

From a legal perspective and following government guidance none of the emergency rules have abolished the contact orders or their enforcement so this would also apply if you have an informal arrangement. The UK family law system is based on the idea that the responsibility to care for the child rests primarily with the parents, not the Courts or other state institutions. This means that parents are expected to cooperate in respect of achieving the best outcome for their children. If your son is 12 and would miss the arrangement of seeing his dad, then he would be able to do so. So yes it would be legal for him to see his son even though you are in different risk areas.

I would suggest speaking with your ex about your concerns, which are legitimate concerns and coming to an arrangement with him for the best interest of your son and something which you both can agree to amicably. If you cannot agree, you could prevent him seeing your son in the mean time but to do so would invite him to take the matter to court to obtain a more formal agreement.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John LLB replied 6 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.