How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36717
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My ex partner has issued a county court small claim for

This answer was rated:

my ex partner has issued a county court small claim for repairs made to my house. She stayed here for 19 months with zero financial contribution (50% of utilites, food and council tax) at the time she said it was for payment in lieu of her contribution (the repairs were a lot less than her half of bills). Where do I stand on this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess it's appropriate to say she is now under the care of Birmingham mental health team (after an acute psychotic episode). I'm the latest in her firing line. She has already accused her grandchildren's other grandparents of paedophilia as part of a harassment campaign
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The claims form also give a false address for the claimant. It's her previous address that she was asked to leave, around 2 months ago) after accusing the legal tenant of theft.

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. On the basis of your statement it would appear that this is your defence and you should certainly file and serve a defence with the court to this effect. I would make it clear to the court in your defence that it was always your understanding that she made these repairs or paid for these repairs as a gift or in lieu of the rent and as such you were never provided with a request for payment and you yourself never sought payment from her. I hope this helps and I am happy to discuss. Please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I should reply with a defence rather than counter claim? The difference is roughly £2.5k in my favour. To be clear, I had mentally written this off and was shocked to receive a court claim out of the blue.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My ex is clearly going through a challenging period, currently the subject of a restraining order for attempting to kidnap her grandchildren. I have no wish to add to the misery.

If you never asked for the money from them in the first place then you may simply wish to go with a defence.

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you