plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I want to check that it is possible to cancel a notice of

I want to check that it is possible to cancel a notice of marriage after giving notice, due to a change in personal circumstances and that I'm not legally married to this person.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Lancashire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today and I’m sorry that you are going through this.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm reviewing your question and will revert back to you shortly. Please do not wait on line for a response, you will receive an email notification from JustAnswer to tell you that I have sent a reply.

In short yes, you need to contact the registrar and inform them of this.

There may be an administration fee due, as a result of the cancellation - they will advise directly.

This is a link to fund your local office if you don't already have their details:

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/births-marriages-and-deaths/find-a-registration-office/

I hope that this answers your question?

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello Peter - by yes, you mean the marriage is not legal and it's no longer recorded in the register? I would have gone to the registry office in person but I was a bit embarrassed to ask a question like this, I just wasn't sure of what the details in the register means in a legal context. I contacted my local office that we had the appointment at to ask the wedding/marriage to be cancelled, and they replied to me to say this was confirmed. If my ex-partner wants to claim that we are married in the eyes of the law, I understand he is allowed to have this opinion/view but in a legal sense it doesn't mean anything?

Your ex partner can't claim you are married if you marriage never took place. If the wedding has been cancelled they cannot claim that you are married in the eyes of the law as you won't be. It won't be recorded in the register as it has not taken place. So he simply cannot claim this.

I hope that clarifies?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the official notice given to the registry office can be completely removed? When I was reading on Google, it mentioned that giving notice is legal confirmation of intention to marry that person.

Yes - an intention to marry is just that, i.e. an intention - it's not a confirmation that you then did get married!

If the notice is removed that should be the end of it.

To be clear, you are not married, and your ex partner cannot legitimately claim that you are.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.