How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2304
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My estranged husband is using my address.the letters are

This answer was rated:

My estranged husband is using my address.the letters are from balliff s for his debts.what can I do to stop this and the baliffs knocking at my door.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridgeshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Asked him to stop .I have no known real home address for him.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Is there a problem
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello again

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear of your problem, which I am sure is very annoying for you having these people keep coming to your door.

The first thing to do, is to inform the bailiffs in writing that he does not live at your address and ask them to stop calling at your address as it is now amounting to a form of harassment. That should stop them from calling.

Next, any post you receive for your ex, should be returned unopened as return to sender, not at this address. You could also contact the post office and see if they can stop Mal at source from being delivered.

Finally, if you are able to find an address for him, you could send him a cease and desist letter demanding that he stops using your address for his mail.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Is it a crime to use somebody else's address to avoid paying debts

It is not a crime to use the address for mail, but if they are doing so to deliberately obtain credit and to avoid payment then it could be treated as fraud.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I believe it's fraud so what can I do.

You can report that matter to the police. you could this using the non emergence call number 101

james bruce and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.