ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I am a EU national.of France with a permanent resident card

hello i am a EU national.of France with a permanent resident card and settled status
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: My fiance is from St lucia and lives there I was meant to be travelling to get married in st lucia but because of COVID quarantine rules in st lucia and my kids being at school in the uk I cant travel can I get married in the uk and what do I need to do for my fiance to join me
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I live in the UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need a simple answer nothing complexe on what I need to do as paperwork so that I can get married in the uk civil ceremony as
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am a French national with permanent residence card and settled status in the UK.
I have lived in the UK continuously for 19 years and have been employed here for 17 years same job.
I have two kids one 17 and 7 from previous relationship.
Me and my current partner have known each other since childhood and have rekindled our relationship last October.
however he lives in St lucia and was planning on visiting me this year March but because of covid the last time I saw him was in February 2020.
We were planning on eloping in St lucia in April but had to cancel it because of the current quarantine rules of 14 days in St lucia and my daughters being at school I cant travel to st lucia to get married however he will be coming to visit me in November. My question is can I get married to him in the UK by the end of this year and what paperwork do I need to apply for in order for us to be able to get married in my local registrar office as our famiky can't join us now because of the current covid

This is Readylaw, welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for some time and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thank you for your patience.

Under EU laws your spouse or registered partner would be able to travel to the UK with you. However, as you do not fall in that category, you would not be able to apply under EU laws for him to join you.

The only other option would be for him to apply to join you on a fiance visa under normal UK laws. A Fiancée prospective civil partner visa application is made by a person who is engaged to be married to or to enter into a civil partnership with a person settled in the UK. This allows the person to travel to the UK on a 6 month visa to get married. Upon entering the UK he would have 6 months within which to marry. After getting married, he would need to submit his application for a spouse visa.

Here is the guidance on how to go about applying:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proposed-civil-partners-set02/proposed-civil-partners-set02

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.