SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

My wife and I have separated. We are still living in the

My wife and I have separated. We are still living in the same apartment, but in different rooms. We have been married 6 years, no children. The flat is with a mortgage with both our names as joined tenants on the mortgage.My wife would storm in my room in the middle of the night,trashing it, slamming wardrobe doors, throwing my things around.It causes me immense fear. And sometimes I am afraid to sleep knowing it can happen again.The doors do not have locks. But I was thinking of getting a door jammer to protect myself and feel more safe when I am inside my bedroom.Am i allowed to do this? Can she still break in, am I allowed to call 999 if I do that and she is trying to break in?

Good afternoon to you, I'm Lea and I am going to assist you today.

Your wife is not allowed to terrorise you in this way, and there is more that you can do about it than just locks. But you are perfectly entitled to fit locks to your door, from the inside and from the outside. And you are definitely entitled to call the police.

I would, however, suggest that you consider applying to court for a non molestation order and an occupation order. The former to stop her abusing you (because that is what it is) and the latter to stop her entering your areas of the home. Often people use an occupation order to completely exclude the other person, but as you are both living separately within the flat it is possible to ask for an order restricting her to her own room and the shared spaces only. An occupation order is only for 6-12 months though, with the expectation that the the two of you do something to resolve the issues (i.e. get divorced and sell the property).

You can apply on form FL401 for both the orders. There is no court fee to file these applications.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Last time when I had to call 999 I spoke to police officers about putting on door locks and was told that she has the right to hit them down with a hammer or something as it is also her property. So then I believe no one cares what is happening to me either.So I am wondering if I purchase a door jammer and she breaks in, the police would support her.

No, she doesn't - that would be criminal damage. I don't know why the police give such daft advice.

As your local police seem to be idiots (supporting abusive behaviour in a domestic situation), I suggest you get a court order, then they will have to act if she is abusive towards you as the non molestation order comes with a power of arrest.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you so much.

You're very welcome.

All the best to you.