Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I live in ireland and I have a power of attorney for my

I live in ireland and I have a power of attorney for my sister who lives in the UK. Her husband also has Power of Attorney. She is currently I’ll with dementia. Living at home with her. Husband and nearby lives a married and only child, a daughter. She is being treated by a local Memory clinic and a health /social person calls in every fortnight. She had been Sectioned once and is now home again. I would like her to be assessed privately so that she can obtain quicker medical attention. Can I insist on this? Can I insist on viewing her finance to see if there is adequate funds to cover this treatment?

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous.

Where two parties have POA then they both need to agree with any conduct undertaken so you would need the husband's consent. In addition you also need to ensure that you have a POA that covers finances to look at your sisters finances, ie. not just health POA but also property and finance. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I do have POA for property and finance. Can I request access to her finanace to establish if there is enough to cover treatment?

As you have POA for finance yes, you can contact her bank and so on and ask for access. They will need to see your POA to confirm authority. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many thanks .

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.