How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2076
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

The ex that we separated over 10 years ago took £7100 from

This answer was rated:

the ex that we separated over 10 years ago took £7100 from my account. I forget we have a joint account when we were together 11 years ago. But I am married with 5 kids since then and she is married with kids since then. When I asked her she said that she took it because she thought someone was using the account. I was the only person paying into the account and has all evidence to prove this. She said she has used the money

This is Readylaw, welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for several years and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Not now
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
sorry, I did not mean to say that. I will allow you to read first thanks

I thank you for your enquiry and your patience.

This is I must say a very unusual situation to be in. On the face of it, the law provides that where something is held jointly, then both parties would have an equal right to it. So, generally speaking, her name being on the joint account does allow her legally to access the money.

This being said however, I do believe you would be able to bring a claim for its return, on the basis that your ex's actions would be seeking to be unjustly enriched. Unjust enrichment deals with circumstances in which one person is required to make restitution of a benefit acquired at the expense of another in circumstances which are unjust. in my view, if she has made no contributions to the account and you have been separated for quite sometime, then, it stands to reason that she could not be entitled to benefit from it.

Practically, i would write a letter to your ex, explaining the above guidance and your intention to commence legal action against them for the return of the money, as they would not be entitled to it. you would be required to give them sometime to return it, usually a minimum of 14 days. If they do not repay it within this time, then, my recommendation is to commence legal action for the return of the money.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you