SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I have a question, me and my ex fiancee have connected

Hi I have a question, me and my ex fiancee have connected Google accounts on our phones, one phone that she used was mine and through it I can see messages that she sends. Is it in any way illegal for me to look at them or screenshot anything to use for our court case. Because I do not want to do anything that's illegal for me. My question is regarding UK law.

Good evening to you, I'm Lea and I am going to assist you today.

What type of court case, and what do the emails you wish to copy pertain to?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The court case is international abduction child, the court case will be most likely through Poland as my child is in Poland and it isn't illegal in polish law, and it's any emails or messages that I might be able to see to help me regarding the court case that will happen.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But if my ex finance might come back is this then something she can use against me in england. But the phone is mine and on my name that she has used before . Mostly i am asking about messenger.

In that case it is whether accessing someone else's emails is illegal in Poland that matters, not what is illegal here (which it is).

In England there is a doctrine of coming to court with clean hands, so if you have obtained something illegally you are generally not permitted to rely on it. I cannot say if that is the same in Poland, but I would suspect that being a European country they may well have very similar laws in regards ***** ***** information without the express permission of the owner.

Even though it is your phone and she accessed her emails on your phone, the account is hers and she clearly did not give you permission to access the account or its contents.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you very much

You're very welcome.